Saturday, March 31, 2007

The real Day 1- 22.03.2007

I thought I slept too much. I was wrong! It was only 8 o'clock when I woke up. I spent some time to tidy my stuff and more important my mind. Took some pictures of my room and the view from the balcony. Locked my computer in by luggage- incase... Got ready and left "Holiday House Abkhazia" at 9. Went out and walked through the town. Made a call to my mom- she was still asleep, or she did not answer since the numbers are not visible. I called Kutarba Hayri Ersoy, my collegue and consultant. He was so worried about my trip to Abkhazia that i did not have time to worry for myself. Later during the day, I learned he called everyone till morning since my Turkish line didnot work after I entered Abkhazia (nobody knows why) and he was really worried.
I said hi to Maxim and others at the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs while I passed by the parliamnet building. They were so sincere in their manners that I felt I have done right to come. They made me feel I belong here... I felt really shame when Maxim told me they are fasting (oruз) at the moment for 40 days till the Eastern. He told it when I gave him a box of chocolate. I felt so uncomfortable, but he was very kind and he wanted to reject the choclate. I told him to distribute it to his friends though later I wondered if they were all the same... Cultural differences- most important differences come with religion and religous beliefs.
After that I just dropped by to see Kutarpha Liza, but her sister was there instead. We hardly communicated with her but she hugged me and kissed me many times...
I arrived at the Ministry for Repatrition (Demographia as the returnees call it) at about 11. Kutarba Erkan, the vice president and a returnee met me there and took me to the University to become a prep student and study Abkhazian and Russian. However, the office was closed. We returned back to the Demographia. While I was waiting there all the girls working at the offices remembered me from the Congress time, many of them hugged me and show their happiness for my "return to the homeland". As we wait time passed and I started to wonder when the lunch break was since I only had a cup of coffee all day. At about 2:30 the girls at the office asked me if I would like to have a cup of tea with them. That was a very interesting combination of food at the table. Turюu (???), a kind of Sэzbal-Salad (Pancar Ezmesi), cheese, bread and of course ajuka. It was the greatest breakfast I had for days since I was so hungry. After, we went to the university one more time. This time we met the president and she said we need to register and she asked for health report, diplom, passport, 6 photographs. After I may start my classes, 2 days Russian and 2 days Abkhazian.
Later, I left and had a walk back to the Ministry from Demographia to meet Temur who we had also met during the Congress and had been in touch. Since his brother (cousin) was getting married he had a day off but when I called him he was very kind to meet me and spend a few hours with me. While I was waiting for him, I met Kuchba Ali- my Apsua Koshara teacher from Ankara who was doing some investment in his homeland. He insisted I should not stay alone since it may not be safe. I was a little uncomfortable with him insisting like that. I am still not very sure about this issue. Anyway, Temur than took me to buy a phone number. However, one of the two firms- aquaphone- asked for 50 dolars for the line that can be called internationally. The other one-amobile was 250 Rubles (1/5 percent of the other). Unfourtunately, since his sister was working in aquaphone she would arrange us taking it without passport. So with a-mobile we passed the street to see if Kutarba Liza was at the internet cafe she works, to ask her this favor. Her sister responded they have already bought a line for me and that they will give it to me next day. I met Kopsirgen Fэrat at the cafe. He is also a returnee from Turkey, married to local girl. He told me his wife speaks Turkish and that insisted I should be their guest.I found the right response to all those invitations: "I want to build a life here. If I will be your guest, nobody will help me to find a place of my own. Than it will not be my life, I will only be a tourist. Please let me find a place to rent. Than I will frequently be your guest." After he left, Liza's sister was very angry, as far as I understand becuase they wanted to take me to their place and that if I will go somewhere it should be their house. They met me long before and ask me to come to their place when I came in December.
Temur was very kind in giving me his second number and phone for the night. I may say I felt a little more comfortable, but thats not true because I started to think about the negative things when everybody told me it is not good to stay alone, in a hotel, etc. Than I realised, it was not the real danger that made them talk like that- it was part of the culture- they would feel guilty if they didn't show their hospitality. So I watched some parts of "Dark Angel" series to relax my mind and I slept a little late. By the way we just had Turkish coffee again and I bought a pack of biscuits for the night. Loved it but couldn't eat much of it. "Wada nigazarovannaya" (Still water) was also available at the shop so I may say I was lucky.