Saturday, March 31, 2007

Day 3-24.03.2007

I again woke up early. Had the courage to have a shower this morning. Walk around the halls for the showers. Find it at the other corridor. Seemed clean. Had place to hang clothes and towels. Had a lock both at the main door and inside door. Took my things and went there. The water was cold for ten minutes and I was nearly going to cry but than first drops of hot water made the freezing water warmer. Than warmer and really hot. I had to wash my head with the soap I brought from Turkey since I had forgotten to take a shampoo with me. Still I feel like I need to scratch my head.
Anyway, after the shower I felt better but I still had those question marks going around my head. Should I take the flat for 2000 Rubles. Does it worth? What if two days later they tell me a better place for the same prize. Mixed up... Thinking about the facilities I may need. Internet will be a problem with a shared phone. I asked about the satellite net to Tugcan. He told me it cost 500 Dollars to build and have to pay 50 dollars every month. No thanks man! It is too much!!!
Later today Sinejan told me it is even slower than internet cafe connection which is dial up and really slow. Well, have to consider this detail deeply. Maybe would be best to connect from an internet cafe and I may have a separate line that I will not need to wait in the row and I may connect from my own computer. Should talk to Liza with the help of someone. Of course this means no internet after 5 o'clock in winter since there is no transportation and there is no single person in the streets after dark.
I dropped by to see Liza and tried to update the blog my diary. www.abkhaziadiary.blogspot.com. I copied the file maybe a hundred times but when I published it, it disappeared. I could not understand really why. I should write to my brother about that...
Than we met with Sinem and went to the sport centre where they played basketball with Sinejan and others. I realized I did not played basketball for 7 years. The ball seemed so strange and heavy and when I could not stop myself from playing without warm up I felt incredible pain in my arm and back. Still had some at the evening.
After we walked and Sinem went to an internet cafe and we talked with Sinejan about the English exam she will have next week and I promised to help her study. We went to a small market and I bought banana (kg-50 rubles) and smoked cheese (kg 170 rubles).
We met some returnees on the way and we sat with them. Everybody told the stories of a haunted house that one returnee owns. During the war the night they got back Sohum they get to this house where a Georgian woman whose son had died was living. The next morning the Georgians left Sohum and the house was left to them. As days passed interesting and unexplainable things had started to happen to each of them. They felt there was someone at the house. Fighting with them at their sleeping, woke them up, walk or run at the upstairs or all through the house when they were all downstairs together. I first thought it was the psychology of the war but they said they showed a video recording of something white and really fast moving in the house to all their friends that did not believed them back than... However, the recording was lost a week later... Interesting.... Was a good start for my research on Witch and Haunted believes of Abkhaz groups. However, it was getting dark and cold so we had to change our place to a closed restaurant.
We went to Pitztza and ate pizza. The talk started to turn on me after a while. They asked me if I was an agent- I said it would have been fun but no I am not. I think this is our destiny- I mean the academicians. And I think it is because all those academicians who play on both sides and do not do something because they wonder but because they have to.
By the way, though I had all the time rejected to be action oriented in field research I feel like my perception on this issue is starting to change. Will it be a problem? Will that effect my perception and approach to the issue. I feel the work I may do could do some real help to the people and Abkhazia...